- How to Send Email in Blackboard Learn (Video – 1:36)
- Using Email in Blackboard Learn
- Before You Begin
- How to Send Email
The Send Email tool in a course is a send-only tool. You can send messages from your course to course members’ external email accounts without having to launch your external email program, such as Outlook, Gmail or Yahoo. You can send emails to individual users or to groups of users.
NOTE: This course tool is not enabled by default. Your instructor will need to add a tool link to your course. Instructions for doing so can be found at the knowledge base post on adding tool links to the course menu. If your instructor would like assistance setting this up, have them email us at email@example.com or give us a call at (412) 648-2832.
Double-click the video to enlarge the viewing area.
Email you send from a course is received in the recipient’s external email account, such as SomePerson@pitt.edu. Replies to these email messages go to the sender’s external email account and are not sent to the course.
Email sent through Blackboard uses your Pitt email address for all correspondence. If you wish to set up email forwarding to an external account such as Gmail or Yahoo, log into MyPitt.edu, or consult with the Technology Help Desk.
When you log in to your external email account, you receive both personal and course-related messages. Consider setting up a filter or message rule to easily group your course email into a single folder in your inbox.
Blackboard Learn does not keep a record of sent or received emails. When you receive or send an email, the email will appear in the Inbox of your external email client. Keep a copy of important messages in case you need them at a later date.
Your instructor controls which tools are available. If this tool is not available, your instructor may have disabled it.
You can send email to the following people in a course:
- All Users: Sends email to all users in the course.
- All Groups: Sends email to all of the groups in a specified course.
- All Teaching Assistant Users: Sends email to all of the Teaching Assistants in a specified course.
- All Student Users: Sends an email to all students in the course.
- All Instructor Users: Sends email to all of the instructors for a specified course.
- Select Users: Sends email to select users.
- Select Groups: Sends email to select groups.
Recipients of each email will not see the email addresses of other recipients.
- Blackboard Learn will NOT recognize files or email addresses with spaces or special characters, such as #, &, %, and $. In general, use only alphanumeric file names and addresses in Blackboard Learn.
- Do not send email through Blackboard Learn without content in the subject line. Leaving the subject line blank can prevent the message from being delivered.
Your instructor must add a link to Course tools or the email tool directly to the course menu for students to have access to Send Email.
- On the course menu, click Course Tools or Send Email.
- On the Select Users or Select Groups page, select the recipients in the Available to Select box and click the right-pointing arrow to move them into the Selected box. A back arrow is available to move a user out of the recipient list. Click Invert Selection and the selected users are no longer highlighted and those users that were not selected will be highlighted. For Windows, to select multiple users in a list, press the Shift key and click the first and last users. To select users out of sequence, press the Ctrl key and click each user needed. For Macs, use the Command key instead of the Ctrl key. You can also use the Select All function to send an email to all users.
- Type your Subject.
- Type your Message. A copy of the message is sent to the sender. A receipt page appears after the message is sent listing all recipients. The receipt page does not confirm that users received the message. It only confirms that the message was sent.
- Click Attach a File to browse for files from your computer. You can attach multiple files. After you add one file, the option to attach another file appears.
- Click Submit.
- Your email address is not visible unless you choose to make it visible to course members. Find this setting in the page header in the My Blackboard menu > Settings > Personal Information > Set Privacy Options. On this page, you can choose the information you want course members to see.
- You can change your external email address used in your courses. In the My Blackboard menu > Settings > Personal Information > Edit Personal Information. On this page, type your preferred email address and click Submit.
- Email clients, such as Gmail or Yahoo, may identify email from Blackboard Learn as junk mail and either automatically delete the email or move it to a junk mail folder. If you have problems, check your user preferences or options for settings regarding the handling of junk email.