- Personalize the My CourseWeb Page
- Notifications Dashboard > What’s New module
- Notification Settings and Actions
- How to Set Your Notifications Options (video)
- Edit Notification Settings
- How to Select General Notification Settings
- How to Turn Notifications On and Off and Select Delivery Methods
- Notification Types
Once you log into the CourseWeb system at Pitt, by default you will be viewing the “My CouseWeb” page. The colors and modules you see can be slightly different depending on how you set this page up. It is customizable to a degree as you will see below.
- My Blackboard and the user menu are available everywhere in CourseWeb and give you a personalized view of your learning environment. Access the menus next to your name in the page header. The user menu provides access to all your courses and your personal settings, such as text size and personal information. My Blackboard provides access to due dates, users, and social tools that help you discover, connect, communicate, and collaborate with your Blackboard learning network.
- Tools: The tools available on this page display information from all of your courses. For example, the calendar shows events for all courses.
- Modules: Modules on the My CourseWeb tab collect information from all the courses you’re enrolled in. Some modules are required and cannot be removed or modified. Use links in the modules to view information and navigate to those areas in your courses. You can collapse individual windows and drag modules to new positions on the page.Modules you might see:
- My Courses: Access the courses you’re enrolled in. This module is required and can be modified so you can turn off the visibility of courses or elements of the courses that appear there (announcements for example).
- CourseWeb Announcements: Displays announcements for courses and from your institution. Announcements communicate important, time-sensitive information.
- My Tasks: Displays tasks added by instructors. You can add personal tasks when you access tasks from Tools.
- Add Module: Select to view the list of available modules, such as a dictionary, report card, and notes. Descriptions are provided in the list so that you can choose the most significant. Your institution controls if you’re allowed to add modules.
- Personalize Page: Change the color scheme of the page.
For more information on personalizing the My CourseWeb page, watch the video below. Note: When they refer to the the My Institution page, the Pitt equivalent is the My CourseWeb page/tab.
Notifications Dashboard > What’s New module
While on the My CourseWeb page, you have the option to navigate to the Notifications Dashboard (A below). From there, you have access to several default modules including ones like the What’s New module (B) which reports on additions and changes to course content. The module displays the number of new items for each content type and links for each course. The module shows items within the last seven days.
The following content types are reported in the module:
- Discussion board posts
- Course messages
The What’s New module reports information that is made available to the entire course. Content that becomes available to you after certain criteria are met is not reported in this module.
The What’s New module reports changes once a day. You can see what has changed the first time you log in for the day. All changes made after you log in do not appear in the module until the next day unless you click Refresh in the Actions drop-down list.
Notification Settings and Actions
You can edit your notification settings to control which events you are notified about and how the notifications are delivered.
Some modules contain an Actions drop-down list with options to expand, collapse, or dismiss the notifications in that module.
The notification system alerts you when events occur in your courses, such as when items are due, grades are available, new content and tests are made available, and when you have unread discussions and blogs. Notifications are generated automatically whenever their associated events occur.
Notifications are delivered in the following ways:
- My Blackboard: The Updates page displays notifications for all of your courses and the Posts page displays unread discussions, blogs, journals, and wikis.
- Email messages: Select this option.
- Home Page modules: Within a course, Home Page modules display notifications for that course only.
- Blackboard Mobile Learn push notifications: You can opt to have push notifications pop up on your device’s screen.
- Notifications Dashboard: The Notifications Dashboard appears on the My Institution tab as an additional way to see notifications for all courses.
How to Set Your Notification Options (3:19)
You can manage the notification settings for all of the courses you are enrolled in. From the global navigation menu, click Settings, and then click Edit Notifications Settings.
- Edit General Settings: Select your email format—individual messages for each notification or daily digest—and the reminder schedule for due dates.
- Bulk Edit Notification Settings: Change the notification settings for all of your courses at once. You can select which notification types you want to receive and the method of delivery.
- Edit Individual Course Settings: Change the notification settings for a single course.
- Edit Individual Organization Settings: Change the notification settings for a single organization.
How to Select General Notification Settings
The general settings enable you to specify whether you want to receive notifications by email and if you want due date reminders.
- From the global navigation menu, click Settings, and then click Edit Notifications Settings.
- On the Edit Notification Settings page, click Edit General Settings.
- On the General Settings page, you can choose to receive an email for each notification or a daily digest email that compiles all of the notifications for that day.
- Individual Messages: Emails are sent for each notification. The exception to this is that the digest selection is necessary for email notifications for unread discussion board messages, unread blog posts, and unread journal entries.
- Daily Email Digest: All notifications are collected and sent once per day.
- Click Yes to set due date reminders for notifications. Set the number of days before the due date you want to be notified. This email reminder is sent as a digest email or as individual emails, depending upon the option you select.
- Click Submit.
How to Turn Notifications On and Off and Select Delivery Methods
You can select which notification types you receive and the methods used to deliver them to you.
- From the global navigation menu, click Settings, and then click Edit Notification Settings.
- On the Edit Notification Settings page, select the link for Courses I am taking to change notification settings for all courses at once. Alternatively, you can make selections for individual courses by selecting a course name under Edit Individual Course Settings. The Current Notification Settings page appears and provides the same options.
- On the Change Settings page, check that your Notification Destinations are correct. If not, change them in your Personal Information.
- Under Settings, select how your notifications are delivered by selecting the check box at the top of a column or by selecting check boxes for individual tools or features. Remove the check mark for any notification that you do not want to receive.
- Dashboard: By default, all notification types appear in My Blackboard’s Updates and Posts pages and in course home pages. They also appear in the Notifications Dashboard.
- Email: Email notification messages are sent to the email address you provided in your Personal Information.
- Mobile: Choose which push notifications you want to appear on your mobile device. Push notifications appear on your device’s screen without having to open the Blackboard Mobile Learn app.
- After making your notification selections, click Submit.
Email notifications are turned off by default. If you wish to receive notifications in this ways, you need to select them.
For the following items, you can select email notifications only if daily digest email is selected in Edit General Settings. If you have not selected daily digest email, the selection box for these items is not available.
The types of notifications that Blackboard Learn generates are:
- Announcement available
- Assignment submitted or assignment submitted late, for group assignments only
- Attempt edited
- Content item available
- Course available
- Course message received
- Gradable item, test, survey, or assignment due or past due
- Grade cleared – the attempt was removed from the Grade Center
- Item graded
- Test, survey, or assignment available
- Unread blogs, journals, and discussions
- Wiki attempts, for group wikis only